Saturday, March 17, 2012

My First Bento Ever - Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I have recently become obsessed with the idea of creating healthy, fun lunches for my monkeys.  I ran across a blog one day about Bento boxes and I fell instantly in love with the idea.  It only took me a few months to get started, but I finally created my first one today.

My girls and I marched in our St. Patrick's Day parade this afternoon and I packed our Bentos to take and eat while we sat in line waiting for the parade to start.  Needless to say, they were a huge hit and my oldest asked me to make more sometime and wants me to make some for her to take to school.  I'm not sure it is very good, but I was very proud of myself and figured I have to start somewhere.  :o)  So, without further ado, here we go...


I apologize for the picture quality...I'll work on getting better pictures in the future.  Anyhoo, I grabbed these Systema boxes at Bed Bath and Beyond.  I think I paid $5.00 a piece for them and they hold quite a bit of food.  My kids couldn't even finish their meal. 


In the top sandwich part, I made a peanut butter sandwich cut in a shamrock shape with smiley face in a food safe marker and a little shamrock heart.  I also added small shamrock colby jack cheese shapes.  

In the bottom part, I made a fruit rainbow from strawberries, little cuties oranges, bananas, kiwi, blueberries, and grapes with a little shamrock pick I got from some cupcakes.  The grapes were actually red because I couldn't find any purple ones at the store, but they look different than the strawberries, so I just went with it...On the right, I have strawberry yogurt with shamrock sprinkles and mini carrots, along with a ring for them to wear at the parade.  I found these really neat little green cups, that are actually for ice cream, and matching spoons at my local Hobby Lobby.  I got a set of 12 for 40% off (just over $2.00).

Overall, I'm very proud of what I accomplished.  It took quite a while to get everything together, but I know I'll get quicker at them.  I learned a lot about the process and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Hearing my first grader ooh and aah over them made it well worth the effort!

Happy St. Patrick's Day from the two cutest little leprechauns I know!  :o)




No comments:

Post a Comment